Whilst the property market continues to cool the hiring market remains super robust, for now.
Remember less than a year ago we had close to 100% clearance rates on property sales? Houses were being aggressively bid for pre-auction, and if they did make it to auction, reserves set were being blown away amidst aggressive bidding wars the likes of which we had never seen before? Queues 50+ deep lined up outside rentals all clutching pre-filled forms hoping they would be the lucky chosen one tobe given a roof over their heads. Seems a dim and distant memory already. Well far from the case where the hiring market is concerned.Demand continues to be high and candidate supply remains tight, if not tighter than we have ever seen.
For us and other search firms of good standing this represents fertile trading conditions. Credentials and closure capability trump fee discussions, exclusivity on roles is a given, retainers reappearing where they may have been excluded in the past, commitment by clients togo in best offer first, quick turn around for feedback, progression to offer and subsequent contract issuance. We are hearing less of the “it will take us a few weeks to get sign off from overseas”, which would likely see your favoured candidate headed off to join one of your competitors if the case.
However, we have all heard of the mantra “this too shall pass”. One thing that is constant is that everything in life is impermanent. However, that is certainly the recruitment environment we live in today and long may it last…
Movers & Shakers
BANKING & MARKETS
• Nicholas Young has joined Morgan Stanley as Vice President. Nicholas has prior experience in London with Bank of America’s healthcare team.
Henry Ball has also joined the firm as an Investment Banking Associate from Nomura, whilst Ice Yan from Highbury Partnership has joined as an
Investment Banking Analyst.
• Tim Foy of Jefferies has joined Credit Suisse as Managing Director and Head of Infrastructure & Utilities.
• Barrenjoey have hired Angus Hamilton, Executive Director & Jason Tanevski, Associate, from Morgan Stanley to join their energy & sustainability
team in Sydney.
• Emily Smith previously with Credit Suisse, has joined Grant Samuel as a Director.
• Sam Catalano has been appointed as Head of Natural Resources with Wilsons, coming from Canaccord Genuity in London where he was
Managing Director, Senior Metals & Mining Equity Analyst.
• Nathan Thomas has joined Jarden’s real estate team, he was previously with Morgan Stanley as Executive Director. Devon Sundelowitz, ex Credit
Suisse has joined Jarden as Vice President. Shivani Shah (ex Morgan Stanley Associate) & Becky Rothfield (ex Credit Suisse) have also joined
• Katherine Todd has joined Gresham Partners as Executive Director, Gresham Advisory Partners from NAB where she was Head of Origination,
ESG Specialist, CIB.
• Dylan D’Souza previously with HSBC has joined Deutsche Bank as Vice President, Infrastructure Advisory.
• Lillee Richardson has joined Azure Capital as an Associate Director from Mizuho.
• Alessandro Chirico has joined Nomura as an Associate in the natural resources team from PwC where he was an Associate Director. Johnson Xu
has also joined the firm as an Associate in the FIG team from NAB where he was a Senior Associate.
• Majan Tharmanathan has joined Citi as an Investment Banking Associate in the power, utilities & infrastructure team from NAB.
• Saud Khan has joined Macquarie Capital’s infrastructure & energy team as an Associate from Ausgrid.
Corporate Banking / Debt Products
• Morgan Kelly of KPMG, has joined EY as Senior Partner in Restructuring & Turnaround, he will be covering hospitality, leisure & tourism sector.
• Chris Milcz previously with NAB as Head of Specialised Distribution, Private Capital Syndicate, has joined Credit Agricole as Managing Director,
• Ryan Armstrong previously Senior Manager, Global Trade & Receivables Finance Services at HSBC, has joined Grow Finance as Senior Partner,
• Bree Bailey previously of Westpac, has joined Deutsche Bank in the role of Director, Renewables & Infrastructure.
• Chris Hall previously with ANZ as Director, has joined MUFG in Melbourne as Director, Financial Institutions.
• Jun Do, ex MUFG has been appointed as Executive Director / Head of Corporate & Investment Banking with Nonghyup Bank.
• Derek Stalley has joined Westpac as Director, Financial Institutions, Public Sector & Health in the GTS group, from NAB.
• Namrata Gollamudi has joined Natixis CIB Australia as Director, Infrastructure and Energy Finance, Australia from Mizuho Bank.
• Bettina Lung has been appointed to QIC’s multi-sector private debt team as a Director from Aware Super where she covered direct lending.
• Pratik Joshi previously Lead Analyst with Moody’s Investors Services for the structured finance group, has joined Bank of America as Vice
President, Asset Backed Securities Specialty Financing.
• Campbell Dash has joined Morgan Stanley as Vice President, Leveraged Finance from Nomura.
• Doris Shen has joined Norinchukin Bank as an Associate from Bank of China.
• Melissa Bolin has joined SMBC as Senior Analyst, M&A and Sponsor Finance from Citi.
Global Markets, Equities & Treasury
• Frazer Ross has been appointed as Head of DCM Australia with Natixis CIB Australia, he was previously with Deutsche Bank as Head of
Investment Grade Debt Syndicate EMEA based in London.
• Benn Fitzgerald has been appointed as Director, Derivative Solutions with RBCCM. Benn has prior experience with Citi as Head of Corporate
Solutions Group ANZ.
• Andrew Baume, ex Westpac & Deutsche Bank as Director, Structured Solutions, has joined Mason Stevens as Head of Fixed Income.
• Paul O’Brien has joined NAB as Director, Fixed Income Sales from Scotiabank in Singapore where he was Head of Australia & ASEAN Fixed
• Ethan Smith, ex Citi recently joined Nomura's Institutional Sales, G10 Rates sales covering HF's, Real Money & Insto clients.
• Roger Gamble has joined MA Financial Group in equities sales from Bank of America, he also has prior experience with Shaw & Partners.
• Matthew Wedderburn-Maxwell previously with RBCCM as Vice President, DCM has joined Lendlease as a Senior Treasury Manager.
• Amanda Chan has joined Bank of America as a Vice President, DCM from MUFG.
• Josie McGinley has joined MUFG as Associate, DCM from NAB where she was Senior Associate, Private Capital Syndicate. Kunaal Chand, ex
Deloitte has also joined the DCM team. Mike Young has joined as an Analyst in the team from Mason Stevens.
Private Equity / Family Office / Venture Capital
• Craig Tozer has been appointed as Operating Partner with Liverpool Partners, Craig has prior experience with craveable brands & earlier with JP
Morgan. Corey Dawson of Pacific Equity Partners has been appointed as Investment Director, Private Equity & James Scott has also joined the
firm in the capital solutions team as an Investment Analyst from the Commonwealth Bank.
• Charles Dussart has also joined Credit Suisse as Director, Strategic Advisory & Private Assets Group from UBS London where he was Executive
• James Bennett has joined Colinton Capital Partners as Principal. James has prior experience with Archer Capital.
• Jerry Lu has joined Infrastructure Capital Group as an Investment Manager, Jerry has prior experience with Bank of America.
• Joseph Lee previously with Bank of America, has joined CVC Emerging Companies as an Investment Manager.
• Harry Waller has joined Quadrant Private Equity as an Investment Manager from Jefferies.
• Lune Dunning previously an Associate with Morgan Stanley, has joined Point King Capital as an Investment Manager.
• Alistair Leighton has joined Partners Group as a Senior Asset Management Associate from Partners in Performance where he was Senior
Associate, Energy Transition.
• Alice Joe has joined KKR as an Associate from Quadrant Private Equity. Jessica Wickramasuriya has also joined the firm’s real estate team from
• Sai Naicker who has prior experience with Barrenjoey & JP Morgan, has joined Cerberus Capital Management as a Private Equity Associate.
• Mark Lin previously with Crescent Capital Partners, has joined Bain Capital as a Private Equity Associate. Nick Andrews previously with Goldman
Sachs has also joined the team as an Analyst.
• Chris Gillings ex Mastercard US has joined Five V’s Venture Capital investing team. Andrew Kilner from Jefferies has also joined the Five V team.
• Ehren Heilman has joined Pemba Capital Partners as an Investment Associate, he joins from Allier Capital.
• Pearl Paguio has departed Macquarie’s TMET team and is joining Carthona Capital as an Investment Associate.
• Yan Messousa, ex Macquarie Capital London has joined Crescent Capital Partners as a Senior Analyst, Private Equity.
• Tom Stewart has joined Blackstone as an Analyst, Real Estate from Bank of America.
Infrastructure / Renewables / Credit
• Rob Grant has been appointed as Partner and Head of Projects with Pollination Group, Rob was most recently Director, Energy with Fortescue
Future Industries. Diana Callebaut who was previously Head of Real Assets & Private Markets with TCorp, has been appointed as Global Head of
Investments & Shane Flatman previously COO with OneVentures also joins the Pollination team as CFO.
• David Hoskins has been appointed as Managing Director & Head of Private Debt with amicaa. David was previously Head of Acquisition Finance
with CIP Asset Management.
• Daniel Meharg has joined Pepper Money as Head of Product from Commonwealth Bank where he was Associate Director, Non-Bank Financial
• Gavin George is joining Regal Funds Management as Portfolio Manager, Private Credit from TPG/TSSP.
• Daphne Chang has joined Payton Capital as an Investment Director from Acorn Capital.
• Jiren Zhou has joined Aware Super’s team as Portfolio Manager, Infrastructure & Real Assets from Plenary Group.
• Marcia Cameron previously with NSW Treasury as Director, Commercial Transactions has joined AustralianSuper as Investment Director,
Infrastructure. Sherry Wu has also joined the fund as an Investment Director from MUFG where she was Vice President, Infrastructure Advisory.
• Mark Wang has joined Longreach Credit Investors as a Director, Origination from Commonwealth Bank where he was Head of Private Capital
• Pascal Bossy has joined GCI (Global Credit Investments) as Investment Director from ED&F Man where he was Director, Trade Finance.
• Karl Forse, ex Bluewater Capital has joined Metrics Credit Partners as an Investment Director.
• John Beilby previously with HSBC in London, has joined IFM Investors as an Investment Director. Scott Butchers has also joined the firm from LEK
Consulting as an Investment Analyst.
• Alpha Wave Global have hired Rahul Srivatsa & Tim Duncan, both ex Deloitte Restructuring, to join their newly formed Credit Fund in Sydney.
• Dan Fitzpatrick, ex North Queensland Airports, has joined AMP Capital as an Investment Director.
• Matthew Kearney has been appointed as Principal with Intermediate Capital Group (ICG) from Pendal Group. Luke Fang has also joined the firm
as a Credit Analysis Analyst from ANZ Bank.
• Carol Ng has joined Igneo Infrastructure Partners as Associate Director, Asset Management from Suez where she was a Business Development
• Brent De Jong previously Director with John Laing, has joined Tetris Capital as an Associate Director.
• Julia Smerdon, ex Metrics Credit Partners has joined Barings as an Associate Director.
• Alex Pickford has joined Oaktree Capital’s special situations group as Senior Vice President, Alex has prior experience in the US with Siris Capital
Group & Angelo, Gordon & Co.
• Kris Lynch has joined Brookfield Renewable as Vice President, Investments from Alinta Energy where he was Head of Project Development.
William Goh & Oaj Srivastava have joined Brookfield’s infrastructure investment team from Grant Samuel & Bank of America respectively. Mayen
Takakura also joined the firm as a Senior Investment Associate from QIC. Whilst Marc Nguyen joins the private equity team as an Analyst.
• Ben Mylonas who has prior experience with Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners & Tetris Capital, has joined Equis Development’s Melbourne office
as a Vice President. Matthew Antico has also joined the team as an Investment Associate from Serco.
• Nicholas McCray, ex Macquarie’s infrastructure & energy group, has joined Palisade Investment Partners as an Investment Associate.
• Bowrun Hou previously with EY Port Jackson Partners, has joined Pacific Equity Partners as an Associate in the Gateway team. Charlton Shi has
also joined the firm as an Investment Associate for the Buyout & Secure Assets team.
• Richard Feetham has joined ROC Partners as Senior Associate, Private Credit from NAB.
• Max Huang has joined Amp Energy as Associate, Investments from KPMG.
• Anastasia Comninos has joined CPP Investments as an Investment Associate from QIC.
• Andrew Cao has joined OCP Asia from Bank of America where he was an Associate.
• James Walker previously with Metrics Credit Partners has joined Epsilon Direct Lending as an Associate.
• Bronte Mendham has joined Gresham Property Fund as an Executive from AMP Capital.
• Justin Lee has joined CIP Asset Management as Analyst, Private Credit from Commonwealth Bank’s commercial & corporate banking team.
• David Schwartz has joined Yarra Capital Management as an Investment Analyst, David has earlier experience with River Capital.
Distribution & Advice
• Timothy Dowling has joined AquAsia’s distribution team from Allianz Retire+ where he was an Investment Specialist.
• Paul Raih most recently with Schroders as Institutional Sales Manager, has joined QIC’s private debt team as Director of Business Development.
• Dean Winterton has been appointed as Global Head of Capital with Qualitas, Dean was previously Joint Managing Director at Chauvel Capital
Partners. Amanda Lambert, ex La Trobe Financial & Moelis Australia has also joined the firm as Director, Wholesale Advisor Distribution.
• Matthew Rooney has joined KKR as a Director in the Client and Partner Group from Pendal Group where he was Head of Bank & Insurance
• Simone Newman has joined GSFM as a Key Account Manager from Dexus Group where she was Senior Manager, Retail Distribution.
• Anne Moal, ex Perpetual, has joined Cbus Super as Head of Direct Debt & Illiquid Credit. Ashleigh Baxter has also joined the organisation as
Investment Manager, Direct Debt from NAB where she was Associate Director, Debt Markets.
• Jonathan Armitage has been appointed as CIO for Colonial First State. Prior he held CIO and GM roles with MLC and Schroders.
• Stuart Birkett previously with HESTA as an Investment Manager, has joined VFMC as Head of Equities.
• Patrick Hsiao has joined AquAsia as an Assistant Portfolio Manager. He has earlier experience with the Australian Office of Financial Management.
• Lily Wang, ex CI Australia & Macquarie Group, has joined MA Financial Group.
• Jenny Hau previously with Future Now Capital & Morgan Stanley, has joined Schroders as an Investment Analyst, Fixed Income
CORPORATE, GOVERNMENT & RISK MANAGEMENT
• Andrew Tobin of Challenger, has joined ASX in the role of Chief Financial Officer.
• Jaclyn Strelow has been appointed as COO of Seek Investments. Jaclyn joins from E&P Financial Group where she was Executive Director.
• Thomas Bolt has joined Airwallex as Manager, Revenue Strategy & Operations from UBS where he was Associate Director, Financial Sponsors.
• Kip McCauley-Wassell has joined ATCO as a Senior Commercial Analyst from KPMG where he was a Senior Consultant.
• Simon Qi is joining Westpac’s Group Strategy team as an Analyst. He has prior experience with Australian Strategy Partners.
• Jane McGovern Will join MLC Life Insurance as Chief Risk Officer. Prior, she held risk roles with iCare & Allianz.
• Patrick Leung previously with NAIF in Perth as Director, has joined Australian Potash as CFO.
• Andrew Glass has joined Transport Asset Holding Entity (TAHE) as a Senior Manager, Investment. Andrew has prior experience as Managing
Director with CBRE and more recently Director at Planum Partners.
• Alexandra Harg has joined Cornerstone Health as a Corporate Development & Strategy Manager. Alexandra has prior experience with AMB
• Melvin Wong previously with Commonwealth Bank’s Major Client Group team, has joined the National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation
(NHFIC) as Senior Manager, Portfolio Management.
• Tom Perfrement has joined Canva as a Strategy Analyst. Tom has earlier experience with L.E.K Consulting as a Senior Associate Consultant.
Market Insight - September 2023
Having just finished The Lord of The Rings trilogy (yes, a late bloomer I know) I have been immersed in the wacky world of fables and folklore of late. It opened my eyes to the fact that we at JMES have our own deep catalogue of recruitment fables we often get to draw upon and occasionally relive, save these are based on real life experiences (so technically not a fable Ed).
GET IN TOUCH