Market Insight - September 2023
Having just finished The Lord of The Rings trilogy (yes, a late bloomer I know) I have been immersed in the wacky world of fables and folklore of late. It opened my eyes to the fact that we at JMES have our own deep catalogue of recruitment fables we often get to draw upon and occasionally relive, save these are based on real life experiences (so technically not a fable Ed).
JMES Book of Recruitment Fables
Anyway, we wanted to give you a bit of an amuse-bouche so here is a sample of some of the headline titles taken from the JMES book of Recruitment Fables. To access the gory details follow the link at the end. Beware as some of the tales might give you sleepless nights or at least make your hair stand on end or make you shake your head...it’s been and continues to be an entertaining ride.
“The boy who wouldn’t take “No” for an answer and ended up landing one of the hottest jobs in Australia”
“The client that thought it might be barking up the wrong tree but ended up
landing a first class team of managers and FUM in new ‘Go-To’ asset class.”
“The candidate that went AWOL when under offer, choosing to do a runner (quite literally) when confronted by the recruiter.”
And last but not least the legendary probity / police check, which has provided a Treasure Trove of Tall Tales over the years including the insider trader, the streaker that got put in the slammer overnight and enough recorded driving offences to sink a battleship!
“Movers & Shakers”
BANKING & MARKETS
• Duncan Mann who was Head of Financial Sponsors / Co-Head of Industrials at JP Morgan, will be joining Miles Advisory Partners as Managing Director in October.
• Andrea Sartore has joined RBCCM as a Director covering consumer & retail from Morgan Stanley where he was an Executive Director.
• Kevin Martin has joined Jefferies as COO for Investment Banking, he was previously with Credit Suisse in a similar role.
• Clarence Fok who has earlier experience with Credit Suisse & JP Morgan, has joined Gresham Partners as an Executive Director.
• Joel Chalhoub & Luka Gvozdenovic who were both previously with Credit Suisse as Executive Director & Associate respectively, have joined JP Morgan’s infrastructure team led by Tim Foy.
• Prashant Bali previously with Luminis Partners as Director, has joined Houlihan Lokey’s technology team.
• Estefania Schor who has prior experience with Miles Advisory Partners as Senior Associate, has joined Sayers as a Director.
• Milos Jankovic previously of Credit Suisse, has joined Macquarie Capital as Associate Director in the TMET team. Alex Brown has also joined the Macquarie Capital team in financial sponsors as an Associate Director from Credit Suisse.
• Chris De Freitas has joined UBS’ Natural Resources team as an Associate Director, he joins from Bank of America’s TMT / M&A team.
• Duncan Boyd-Jones has rejoined Record Point as Vice President. He was previously with CVC Group as an Investment Manager.
• Rebecca Rosenberg has joined Barrenjoey as Principal, Corporate Finance from Bank of America.
• Nicholas Vatovec has joined Macquarie Capital as an Investment Banking Associate from Credit Suisse.
• Sohil Tangri (ex Neu Capital) & Eugene Wang (ex Credit Suisse) have joined Jefferies as Investment Banking Associates.
• Tayla Stafford has joined Wilsons as an Executive, Investment Banking from Goldman Sachs.
Corporate Banking / Debt Products / Risk Management
• Andy Powell & Joshua Veltman have both joined Green Giraffe as Senior Project Manager and Junior Analyst respectively. Andy joins from Macquarie & Joshua joins the team from KPMG.
• Andrew Wheeler previously with Credit Agricole in London, has joined Assetinsure as Director, Financial Risk Products.
• Simon Forshaw, Head of Lending Services International with ANZ, has joined Export Finance Australia as Director, Portfolio Management. Siham El Abbassi has also joined the company as Associate Director, Project & Structured Finance from Mizuho where she was Senior Associate, Project Finance.
• Hayden Grubb has joined Korea Development Bank (KDB) as Vice President, Project Finance from Mizuho.
• Jean Escandor previously with Pricoa Private Capital as Investment Director, has joined JP Morgan as Vice President.
• Arun Devajana who has prior experience with Commonwealth Bank as a Senior Risk Executive, has joined SMBC as Vice President, Credit.
• Senait Habtemariam previously in EY’s capital & debt advisory team, has joined Bank Australia as a Senior Manager in the impact lending team.
• Nikki Reid has joined PwC as Associate Director, Debt & Capital Advisory. She has prior experience with Nedbank, most recently as Principal, Syndication & Distribution.
• Shreya Pokharel has joined HSBC as Senior Associate, Large Corporates from RBCCM’s corporate banking team.
• Dillon Vorster has joined Barclays as an Investment Banking Analyst from Commonwealth Bank’s private equity & leveraged finance team.
Global Markets (FICC & Equities) / Treasury
• Hayden Bairstow previously Head of Resources Research with Macquarie Group has joined Perth based Argonaut as Head of Research.
• Ben Stewart has joined Export Finance Australia as Director, Treasury from ING where he was Head of DCM Australia.
• Katherine Chan previously Executive Director, DCM with UBS, has joined Transurban as Assistant Treasurer.
• David Bleakley who has prior experience with ANZ as Chief Risk Officer, Americas & recently Angle Finance as Treasurer, has joined Vixory Capital as Senior Director.
• Raman Singh has joined HSBC as Vice President, FIG, from Credit Suisse.
• Adam West previously Investment Banking Associate with CLSA, has joined JP Morgan’s REITs equity research team. Kelsey Bentley has also joined the firm as an Equity Research Analyst from Ellerston Capital where she was an Investment Analyst.
Private Equity / Family Office / Venture Capital / Private Credit / Special Situations
• Genevieve Gregor of Colinton Capital Partners & Goldman Sachs has joined TPG Capital as a Senior Adviser.
• Toby Mannock of ANZ has been appointed as Managing Director & Head of Private Equity with Partners Group.
• Rahul Bharara who was Managing Director & Head of Real Estate, Australia with Credit Suisse, has joined Barrenjoey as Partner, Private Capital, Real Estate.
• Benedict Ryu of Mirae Asset Securities, has been appointed as Executive Director & Asia Head with Fortitude Investment Partners.
• Sarah Thorne has joined the Adamantem Capital team as Investor Relations Program Director from Magellan Financial Group.
• Nick Short has joined Pitt Capital Partners’ principal investments team from Tanarra Restructuring Partners.
• Jared Thomas previously with SMBC as Assistant Vice President, Real Estate Finance, has joined Tanarra Restructuring Partners as Investment Director.
• David MacDonald previously Executive Director at MA Financial Group, has joined OCP Asia as Vice President, Special Situations.
• Claire Miller who has prior experience with Tanarra Restructuring Partners, has joined Washington H. Soul Pattinson’s principal investments team.
• James Garforth (ex KKR) & Nick Wetherell (ex TPG Europe) have joined BGH Capital Melbourne as Principals.
• Talia Dorfan who has prior experience with GCI Funds’ Leap Capital & PwC, has joined Parc Capital’s investment team. Charles More has also joined the firm’s M&A team as an Associate from Ord Minnett.
• Oliver Sawyer, ex Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility (NAIF) has joined Merricks Capital as an Associate Director.
• Simon Kriechbaum & Harriet Lambert have both joined Five V Capital in New Zealand. Simon was most recently with Waterman Capital Partners as Investment Director and Harriet most recently with Morgan Stanley as an Associate. The Australian office also sees the hire of Hugh MacDiarmid from Jarden, where he was an Investment Banking Analyst.
• Hamish Overton previously with The Carlyle Group, has joined EQT Group in Singapore as an Associate.
• Jason Wu, ex EQT Group, has joined Whiteoak as an Investment Manager.
• James Campbell previously Investment Associate with Advent Partners, has joined the Quadrant Private Equity team.
• James Kerruish has joined Liverpool Partners as an Investment Associate from Credit Suisse’s investment banking team.
• Tom Perfrement has joined 5AM Capital from Canva as an Investment Manager.
• Trevor Tsui, ex Magellan Financial Group, has joined Pitt Capital Partners’ emerging companies fund.
• Dean Bartolotta previously with UBS in Sydney & London, has joined HMC Capital as a Senior Associate.
• Sahil Arora previously Investment Banking Analyst at Goldman Sachs, has joined Airwallex as an Associate.
• Arthur Chretien previously with Allunga Advisory, has joined CPE Capital as an Associate.
• Matthew Tanza has joined Muzinich & Co as Associate, Asia Pacific Private Debt from Morgan Stanley’s technology coverage team.
• Jack Dillon has joined the Potentia Capital team as an Investment Associate from Bain & Company.
• Will Chryssafis, ex Bank of America has joined PAG as an Analyst.
• Todd O’Dea who was in PwC’s environmental transactions & advisory team, has joined StepStone Group as an Analyst.
• Zarjnt Spire most recently with Credit Suisse as an Associate, has joined Arnott Capital as an Investment Analyst.
• Nathan Brooks has joined Privatus Capital Partners as an Analyst. Most recently Nathan was with Morgan Stanley.
• Issac Newbold from Pinnacle Investment Management is joining Pemba Capital Partners as an Originations Analyst.
Real Assets - Infrastructure / Renewables / Energy / Real Estate
• José Luis Herrero who has experience with Squadron Energy & FRV, has been appointed as Head of Origination & Execution Australia with Cubico Sustainable Investments.
• Dan McLean previously Head of Real Estate Finance with HSBC, has joined CapitaLand as Senior Director, Private Funds.
• David Gippel has joined Arrow Capital Partners as Head of Debt AU & NZ from CBRE where he was Senior Director.
• Joseph Kuk has joined Rothesay as Head of Commercial Real Estate, Investment Origination APAC from Bank of America, where he was Director.
• Alejandro Morales who has prior experience with Deloitte & Serco, has joined Pacific Partnerships as a Project Finance Director.
• Steven Zheng has joined Wollemi Capital as an Associate Director from Macquarie Capital Melbourne’s TMET team.
• Matthew Waite previously Director, Real Estate Finance at Wingate, has joined PGIM Real Estate as an Executive Director.
• Lisa Pham has joined DRC Savills Investment Management as Associate Director, Real Estate Debt from SMBC.
• Archit Chanana (ex BurnVoir Corporate Finance) has joined StepStone Group as an Associate.
• Madeline Mitchell previously with JP Morgan, has joined QIC as Manager, Global Infrastructure. Justin Catsaros has also joined the same team as an Analyst from Dexus.
• Yuchao Chen who has prior experience with KPMG & GMR Energy, has joined Lightsource BP as Vice President, Structured Finance.
FUNDS MANAGEMENT (REAL MONEY & SUPERANNUATION)
Distribution & Advice
• Kevin Kandasamy has joined First Sentier Investors as Head of Institutional Distribution from Dimensional Fund Advisors where he was Regional Director.
• Marcus Cleary, ex UBS Asset Management, is now Victorian State Manager for Allianz Retire+
• Justin Howell & Simon Warner have joined Aware Super as COO, Investments & Head of Portfolio Management respectively.
• Jennifer Herbert has joined Savana Asset Management as CEO from Magellan where she was Head of Listed Funds.
• Anthony Angelucci, ex HUB24 & Mercer, has joined Equip Super as their Head of Product.
• Leigh Gavin, formerly of LUCRF & AustralianSuper, has joined Cbus Super as Head of Portfolio Strategies.
• John Lobb, formerly of Insync Funds Management, has joined Nanuk Asset Management as a Portfolio Manager.
• Pierre Wu, formerly of AMP, has joined Schroders as Investment Director, Fixed Income & Multi-Asset.
• Lukasz de Pourbaix has been appointed to the role of Global Cross Asset Specialist with Fidelity. Lukasz comes across from Lonsec where he was CIO.
• Lonsec replaces Lukasz with Nathan Lim in the role of CIO. Nathan was previously with Morgan Stanley, most recently in Hong Kong.
• Cathy Hales joined Mercer in the role of CEO Wealth Pacific. Prior she held senior roles with amicaa and Fidante.
• Abbey Cook, ex Magellan, has joined Fairlight Asset Management as a Portfolio Manager.
• Max Pacella has joined Rest Super as an Investment Analyst, Investment Strategy & Asset Allocation from Innova Asset Management.
• Alick Song has joined MFS Investment Management as an Equity Research Associate from Credit Suisse’s investment banking team.
CORPORATE / GOVERNMENT / C-SUITE
• John Story previously of Catalyst Investment Managers, has joined Modern Star as CFO.
• Ian Hanrahan ex Head of Small Business Banking, Queensland with ANZ, has joined Manildra Group as CFO.
• Bianca Pelliccia has joined Sydney Airport Corporation as a Strategic Program Manager from Pacific Partnerships.
• Nicholas Duke, ex Jarden, has joined UP Education as Director, Corporate Development.
• Penny Peng previously Associate Director with UBS, has joined AirTrunk as Corporate Development & Strategy Manager.
• Vsevolod Gorlach has joined Adelaide based firm Chrysos, as Group Treasurer. He has prior experience with Vukile Property Fund & Absa Bank.
• Sarah Halliday previously with JP Morgan as Vice President, has joined Computershare as Vice President, Corporate Development.
• Olivia Miu, ex Credit Suisse Investment Banking Analyst, has joined Commonwealth Bank as Manager, Group M&A.
• Rosie Connolly previously an Associate with Rothschild & Co has joined Foxtel Group as Chief of Staff to the CEO.
• Alex Dennis who has prior experience with JEGI CLARITY & PwC, has joined Ord Minnett as an M&A Associate.
• Ashleigh Zhu has joined ATCO as a Commercial Analyst from PwC.
• Jack Connolly previously Investment Banking Analyst with Rothschild & Co has joined Kelsian Group as a Corporate Development Analyst.
• Kelly Yuan & Lara Bartolotta, who were both previously Investment Banking Analysts at Credit Suisse, have joined Amazon as Brand Analysts.
We are keen to hear your feedback or should you require further information, please contact us on 02 9235 9400 or email@example.com
The content or this document is not to be copied or reproduced without the prior consent of the Directors of JMES.
Market Insight – June 2023
A little premature perhaps, but you can never accuse us of not being front of foot here at JMES. Whilst closed deal volume has been down and transactions continue to get drawn out, the hiring market has been as buoyant as ever, perhaps even at its most active for experienced, quality PE professionals.
GET IN TOUCH