December 2022 - That’s a Wrap!
Well what a year. One of the busiest and most rewarding in the 25 year history of JMES I think. Yet there have been both winners and losers, supernovas and commercial black holes along the way.
Well what a year. One of the busiest and most rewarding in the 25 year history of JMES I think. Yet there have been both winners and
losers, supernovas and commercial black holes along the way. Of the former the standout must surely be “Energy Transition” - a thing that
didn’t exist when I was a lad, like a lot of stuff today that one takes for granted, or regard as essential and couldn’t possibly live without.
Hardly a day or meeting goes by without ‘’ET” being at least raised if not the centre of attention. Likened to the industrial revolution part 2,
its impact on our and many of our clients’ business will be significant for years to come.
In the latter camp would preside the current basket case that is Cryptocurrency, something that I personally have struggled to fathom and we
have had little or no exposure to as a firm. A bullet dodged? Opportunity missed? Time will tell.
So with a book of new roles, even fuller than this time last year, locked in and ready to kick off the new year, we at JMES can sign off with
a combination of joy as well as relief I think.
-the Jon Michel team
“Movers & Shakers”
BANKING & MARKETS
• Paul Crooke has been appointed as Managing Director / Head of Metals & Mining Investment Banking Australia with RBCCM. Prior Paul was
Executive Director, Metals & Mining with JP Morgan.
• Paul Zhu has joined Jarden’s infrastructure team in Sydney as a Director from Morgan Stanley in Singapore, where he was a Vice President.
• Alex Lin previously Infrastructure Analyst with Societe Generale, has joined Deutsche Bank’s Strategic Investments Group.
• Matthew Stevens previously with SMBC as Director, Project Finance has joined ICA Partners as Director.
Corporate Banking / Debt Products
• Peter Bairaktaridis previously of Citi, has joined JP Morgan as Head of Technology Coverage, Corporate Client Banking, ANZ.
• Christian Bailey previously Managing Director & Head of Corporate Coverage with HSBC, has joined ING as Head of Corporate Sectors. Andrew
Hector has also been appointed as Head of Wholesale Banking from ANZ Bank, where he was General Manager, Corporate & Institutional
• Angus St John has been appointed as Managing Director, Sponsor Coverage APAC with MUFG. He was previously Global Head of Investor Client
Management with the Commonwealth Bank. Alexander Wong has also joined the bank as Associate, Leveraged & Structured Finance Syndicate
• Vincent Valladares has joined ThinCats Australia as Chief Business Officer. Vincent has prior experience offshore in Singapore with Bank of
Singapore as a Senior Coverage Banker.
• Clare Morgan, ex CBA, joins ANZ as Group Executive, Commercial.
• Robert Ogden has joined SMBC as Director, Project Finance from Société Générale where he was Director, Energy, Natural Resources &
• Campbell Webster who has prior experience with Ernst & Young and Gresham Partners, has joined Société Générale as Director, Energy.
• Tom Lukic previously with Westpac has joined Societe Generale Australia as Director, Corporate Coverage.
• Shankul Mittal has joined Standard Chartered Bank as a Director, Financial Institutions. He has earlier experience with SMBC Hong Kong where he
was Head of Fund Finance & Capital Placement APAC.
• Rodney Moore has joined Mizuho as Director, Infrastructure & Utilities from NAB’s corporate health team. Jeff Sit also joins the bank from Deloitte
where he was Analyst, Infrastructure & Capital Projects as Associate, Project Finance.
• Angelena Dang, ex HSBC has joined ANZ as Associate Director, Institutional Property Group.
• Miguel Dennis previously with Trilogy Funds, has joined Daiwa Capital Markets as an Associate Director, Principal Investments.
• Leo Oliveira, ex Bank of America, has joined Credit Agricole as Senior Manager, Coverage.
• Edward Zhong has joined Credit Agricole as Associate, Corporate & Leveraged Finance from Westpac where he was a Senior Associate.
Global Markets, Equities & Treasury
• Veronica Kaufman has been appointed as Executive Director, Australian Capital Markets with UBS. Veronica was previously Head of Corporate
Derivatives Australia with Credit Suisse.
• Hamish Mitchell of Metrics Credit Partners has joined TPG Capital’s global capital markets team covering the APAC region.
• Patrick Donovan has joined Barclays as Director, Complex Credit & Private Finance from Bank of America (Hong Kong) where he was Director,
Global Loans & Special Situations.
• David Baker previously of UBS & Canaccord Genuity, has joined MA Financial Group as an Executive Director, Sales Trading.
• Aaron Lagerlow previously with Bank of America, is joining Jefferies as Senior Vice President, Sales Trading. On the equities research side, Chris
Drew will be joining in the new year, he was previously CFO with Kingston Resources.
• Nathan McKiernan, ex HSBC Director Real Estate Finance, has joined Dexus as Treasurer, Real Estate.
• Darren Beatty has been appointed as Group Treasurer with Charter Hall. Darren has earlier experience with ING & Westpac.
• Stephen Mixter who has earlier experience with Mortgage House of Australia & Latitude Financial Services, has joined Angle Auto Finance as
• Nick Serra previously with ANZ as Director, Institutional FX Sales has joined Macquarie Group as Associate Director, Commodities & Global
• Sanjeev Narayan who was Head of Market & Liquidity Risk Management with SMBC has joined Great Southern Bank as Senior Manager, Market
& Financial Risk Assurance.
Private Equity / Family Office / Venture Capital
• David Grayce has been appointed as Managing Director, Private Equity with Goldman Sachs. David was earlier a Managing Director with Pacific
• Martin Donnelly has been appointed as Managing Director with EQT Group. Martin was previously a Partner of First Avenue Partners. Anna Bittner
has also joined the firm as an Associate from Macquarie Group.
• Michael Vardanega has been appointed as Head of Private Capital with Barrenjoey Capital Partners. Michael has earlier experience with
Challenger Group most recently as Head of Bank Transition.
• James McGrath of OneVentures has joined Mirae Asset Management as Director, Alternative Investments.
• Adnan Husaini previously with HRL Morrison & Co. as an Investment Manager, has joined Realside Financial Group as an Investment Director.
• George Pitsaris who has prior experience with Commonwealth Bank & LIM Advisors, has joined Metrics Credit Partners as Investment Director.
• Hayden O’Kelly has joined Arcus Partners as an Investment Manager from Adamantem Capital.
• Oliver Hedley-Whyte is joining Next Capital as an Associate Director in the new year from Odyssey Private Equity. Bradley Sam has joined the firm
as an Investment Manager from Anacacia Capital.
• Arlen Cram, ex Odyssey Private Equity has joined Armitage Associates as an Investment Manager.
• James Burgess has joined Roc Partners as an Investment Associate from Grant Samuel.
CORPORATE, GOVERNMENT & RISK MANAGEMENT
• Adam Philippe previously with VGI Partners, has joined Roc Partners as a COO.
• Louise Hulley previously the COO & CFO of Eftpos Payments, is joining Balmain as their CFO.
• Rod van Onselen of Origin Energy’s Chief Digital & Growth Officer, has been appointed as Head of Operations ANZ with TPG Capital.
• Nicola Scott has joined Link Group as CFO for the Retirement and Superannuation Solutions (RSS) division. Prior, she held CFO roles with Pendal
& ANZ Bank.
• Tomer Herschovitz has joined Futurerent as their CFO from eToro where he was Head of M&A and Strategy.
• Moyan Du (ex News Corp) & Alex Collivas (ex OwnHome) have joined Australian Business Growth Fund (ABGF) as Investment Managers.
• Keaton Swanepoel has joined NZTE (Sydney) as an Investment Manager from KPMG.
• CEO of almond grower Select Harvests, Paul Thompson, will step down after ten years at the top. David Surveyor, the current CEO of New
Zealand-based Alliance Group, has been appointed his replacement, commencing in early 2023.
• Aimee Fleming previously Head of Global Subsidiaries Australia with ANZ Bank, has joined Nissan Financial Services as Assistant Treasurer.
• Jacob Stanbrook previously with Bain & Co. has been appointed as Head of Commercial with Virtus Health.
• Gus Allen, ex Ampol Australia, has joined Commonwealth Bank as Senior Manager, Group Mergers & Acquisitions.
Market Insight - September 2023
Having just finished The Lord of The Rings trilogy (yes, a late bloomer I know) I have been immersed in the wacky world of fables and folklore of late. It opened my eyes to the fact that we at JMES have our own deep catalogue of recruitment fables we often get to draw upon and occasionally relive, save these are based on real life experiences (so technically not a fable Ed).
GET IN TOUCH